Grapefruit Tarts in a Gingersnap Crust


After the Poppyseed Angel Food Cake (which is where you'll find the recipe for the grapefruit curd), I had way too much curd left over to just shove it in the fridge and hope it gets eaten with toast.  I remembered a lime pie I'd had at the infamous Magnolia Bakery  here in NYC, and although the lime filling itself was somewhat unmemorable, I loved the idea of the gingersnap crust that it came in.  There is nothing in this world simpler than a pressed cookie (or graham cracker) crust.  The recipe comes from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook, but really, just substitute ginger snap crumbs for the graham crackers in your usual recipe and you'll be all set.


Gingersnap Crust

4 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 cups gingersnap crumbs (That's it!)


Combine the butter and the crumbs and press firmly into your tart pan.  Bake for about 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 325, and let cool completely.  Fill with leftover grapefruit curd and enjoy!




*     *     *

Have you ever read someone else's blog and just known that your interests and style almost perfectly align?  That's how I felt when I first stumbled on Lisa's blog of Lisa is Cooking.  Like me, Lisa shares a love (obsession?) with cookbooks and lucky for us, she has agreed to do a guest post here, which will appear on Thursday.  I can tell you, it's a great one, so I hope you'll visit in a couple of days to check it out.  Also, be sure to stop by her blog, you won't regret it!

Comments

Those look absolutely scrumptious!.. I love anything from Jennifer Appel.
Anonymous said…
Gingersnap crust, what a great idea. I've been playing with gingerbread lately and have ginger on the brain. Now I'm craving this too!
Yum. Gingersnap with Grapefruit! Divine!!!
Anonymous said…
beautiful! i never would have thought of pairing gingersnaps and grapefruit! your photos are gorgeous :]
Sam said…
Great idea, I might try this with a jar of lemon curd i've had in the cupboard for months.
Anonymous said…
those are so delicate looking! your pictures are really pretty. grapefruit seems so underrated, but you make it the star.
Vera said…
These tarts look yummy! Ginger and grapefruit must be wonderful together. I find the gingersnaps highly addictive :)
Andrea said…
Chocolate Shavings, thank you so much! I agree, those girls at Magnolia (and buttercup!) sure know their stuff!

Lauren, I really enjoyed the gingersnap crust because I am addicted to ginger. Thanks for the comment!

Food librarian and My Sweetest Day, thank you! Grapefruit and ginger might be a flavor combination I'll have to try again in the future.

Sam, definitely try it, it's super crazy easy and it's good fuel for your bike rides ;-)

Joanna, thanks so much. I've always loved grapefruit and would like to figure out some more ways to use it!

Vera, I totally agree about gingersnaps being addictive. We've been known to polish a box off in one day (seems to be a theme around here!)
Anh said…
This is indeed a very different tarts! I have never been to Magnolia but I wish I could!
Deborah said…
I never really liked grapefruit until about a year ago. but now I eat them all of the time! This sounds great with the gingersnap crust!
denver native said…
I love your charger plates!

Popular Posts