Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Tomatoes and Thyme


This is a seriously delicious soup from Sara Foster and her book The Foster's Market Cookbook.  It doesn't taste overpoweringly of butternut squash, the ingredients are much better balanced than that.  Both the butternut squash and the tomatoes and garlic are roasted before going into the soup, which really add a depth of flavor.  It's super healthy, super duper flavorful and, frankly, beautiful with the swirls of tomato added in at the last second.  I served it warm, but Foster says that it's also delicious chilled so it makes for great leftovers.  I really can't recommend this soup too highly.

Foster gives a few options for which herbs to use, bellow you'll find what I did.  She also prepares the soup with corn bread croutons in order to use up left-over cornbread.  I didn't have any, so we had crusty peasant-style bread instead.  But the cornbread croutons sound amazing.  Another incentive to pick up the book.


Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Tomatoes and Thyme

1 butternut squash, halved and seeds removed
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
6 plum tomatoes cored and halved
4 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 stick butter
1 red onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 celery ribs, diced
6 cups chicken or veggie stock
S/P
1/2 cup fresh thyme
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried sage
Juice of 2 oranges


Oven preheated to 450

Pour 1 cup of water and a little of the olive oil into a baking pan and place the squash cut-side down in the pan.  Roast the squash for 35 minutes, until tender.

Toss the tomato halves and the garlic cloves with more of the olive oil and with the vinegar, then put them in another baking dish and roast them for 30 minutes until soft and with shriveled skin.

Heat the rest of the olive oil and the butter over medium heat in a dutch oven (at least, that's what I used, and I'd say I used about half that amount of butter but deglazed the pan every once in a while with a bit of chicken stock).  Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, then add the carrots and celery and continue to cook until all the vegetables are soft.  Stir often.

Add the broth, the salt and pepper to taste and reduce heat to low.  Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.  In the meantime scoop the squash out of the skin and add it to the soup.  Continue simmering for another 20 minutes.

In the meantime again, crush the now-cooled tomatoes into little chunks, either with your hands or with a potato masher.  Keep the juiced, you'll add everything into the soup.

If you don't have an immersion blender (and really, why don't you? It makes life much easier), remove the soup from the heat and allow it to cool a bit before blending it in a food processor in batches.  If you do have an immersion blender, immerse and blend away right on the stove.  Once the soup is smooth, or at least a consistency to your liking, add in the tomatoes, their juices, the orange juice and the herbs.  Stir to mix and serve.




*     *     *

I'm really excited about this post, because I'm sending it in to one of my very favorite bloggers, one who inspired me to start this thing in the first place.  This goes to Ilva, of Lucullian Delights for the October edition of The Heart of the Matter.  This month's color theme is yellow/orange!

Comments

Alexa said…
Oh, my... that looks like heaven in a bowl. Beautiful and delicious.
Laura Paterson said…
What a gorgeous sounding soup! Y'know - it matches the ingredient list for this month's joust almost exactly!!
Anonymous said…
Healthy and flavorful is a combination that always captures my attention. This sounds like a sensational soup.
Anonymous said…
Oh yes! Another BNut squash recipe to try...you know how much I love BNuts :)
Thanks Andrea!
Healthy, comforting and delicious! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa
Sam said…
Butternut squash is one of my favourite vegetables! It looks really good!
Anh said…
Just chance upon your blog today and I am loving it!
Unknown said…
we don't grow butternut, but we do buttercup (you probably call it with squash). i love pumpkin! i think the flavour will retain the most when it is steamed. lovely lovely texture. i haven't tried them in soup. shall try to find out. looks yummy, though.
Ilva said…
Thanks so much! Both for your kind words and the entry, I love soups made of oven roasted vegetables so this is right up my street, I have to try it!
Andrea said…
Thanks Alexa, Snooky Doodle, Julie and Rosa! We really loved this soup!

Kittie, I've been too nervous to join the joust, but maybe next month I will! I've already sent this post to Lucullian Delights and she asked that it not be entered in anything else for the month. Thanks for your kind words!

Micha and Sam, butternut squash (and really all those great fall gourds) make the coming of winter almost worth it.

Anh, thank you so much! That means a lot coming from someone with such a beautiful blog herself!

Arfi, I actually saw some squash that was labeled buttercup when I was at the farmers market. I didn't know exactly what it was. I would love to try pumpkin in a soup! That sounds fantastic!

Ilva, I agree completely about roasted vegetables. Roasting always seems to make them better!
test it comm said…
This roasted butternut squash soup looks nice and thick and good!
Helene said…
It looks heavenly and so comforting!
Unknown said…
My hubby and I LOVE this recipe! Especially the different preparations leaves this soup with wonderful tasty surprises instead of one big mixing pot! If I can make a suggestion I would say try to use homemade CK broth if you can. The gelatin, lacking in most supermarket ck stocks, is really vital I think to the richness and creaminess of this cream free soup. Also save some of the butter to mix in at the end. Again creamier, better texture and a much different taste than that you used to sautee the onions with. Thank you forever for this recipe! I love savory butternut squash soup!

Popular Posts