Gypsy Soup


I've hit a wall, it seems.  I don't exactly know what to tell you about this soup.  How to explain how perfectly delicious it is, in a way only a fabulously flavored but essentially simple soup can be.  How even though I used water instead of stock, the broth was bright and nearly singing, and how it left only the faintest hint of a tingle on the lips as a suggestion of the warmth that was coming once it hit my belly.  

This is a classic gypsy soup, classic because it comes from Molly Katzen's seminal Moosewood Cookbook and in my mind, it's just about perfect.  It's chunky, filling and satisfying but most importantly, it feels nourishing.  Although honestly if you're going to hint at tingly lips, I'd prefer to go for it, and would probably increase the amount of cayenne to whatever increment is above a pinch.  A forceful dash, perhaps.  


And if all of this weren't enough, eating gypsy soup can make you a good little feminist.  In her book A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove, Laura Schenone writes of Katzen's new vegetarian cuisine that is was liberating, that "a dish like Gypsy Soup offered not only a chance to rebel against the corporate powers that built weapons, pesticides, and commercial foods but also a chance to challenge mother's bland dishes and the narrow gender roles prescribed by Betty Crocker...[Gypsy Soup promised] an adventurous culinary and spiritual journey far away from those commercialized kitchens of the 1950" (Schenone, 330).  That might all be a lot to ask of such an essentially humble concoction, but today's focus on fresh, whole foods owes much to Katzen, and rarely do idealist pursuits taste so good.


Gypsy Soup

Olive oil for sauteing
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, passed through a press
3 smallish sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium fresh tomatoes, chopped 
1 green bell pepper, chopped, membrane and seeds removed
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
4 cups water

Seasonings:
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of cayenne
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon tamari

In a dutch oven, warm the oil and saute the onions, garlic, celery and sweet potatoes for 5 minutes.  Add the seasonings, except for the tamari, and the water.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Add the remaining vegetables and the chickpeas and continue to simmer for 10 minutes more, until the vegetables are as tender as you'd like.  Stir in the tamari and adjust the seasonings.

Notes: 
*  You can use a good stock in place of the water, but water worked just fine for me
*  For dried chickpeas, you will need 3/4 cup, which should be soaked at least 3 1/2 hours, but preferably over night.  To cook them, fill a pot with water to 1" above the soaked chickpeas and cook, mostly covered, for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
*  You can used canned chickpeas, but rinse them and know the texture and flavor won't be quite as nice.
*  The idea of the gypsy soup is to produce a predominantly orange and green concoction, so you can substitute any orange or green vegetable, like carrots, squash, peas or green beans.
*  For a more substantial meal, I've seen the soup topped with a poached egg, as The Slow Cook did a while back.
* If you can't find tamari, you can use regular soy sauce, although...
*  Don't be afraid to invest in a bottle of tamari.  You can use it in cooking in place of soy sauce, or even in place of salt for some extra flavor, as Camilla did here in a salad dressing from Enlightened Cooking.

*     *     *

I'm sending this soup in to No Croutons Required, the monthly vegetarian soup and salad event being hosted this month by Lisa, of Lisa's Kitchen!



Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks like the perfect kind of soup to have on a day like today: chilly, gray, and kind of sleeting. I'm wishing I had all the ingredients to try this!
Snooky doodle said…
I like this soup it is similar to the one I make regularly
Unknown said…
This looks very hearty and filling. It sounds like a perfect meal to come home too on a cold day! :)
Kristy3m said…
I am making this soup right now. I LOVE it and am glad someone else knows about it :-).
Stephanesia said…
Oh man, I also have this soup recipe-- though not from a cookbook. Mine showed up through various people as I grew up, I wonder if one of them had the cookbook?

cool to know where it came from though.
jd said…
Woah. I think "yum" perfectly sums this soup up.

I can't wait to try it...

Great pics, too!
veggie belly said…
I love your photos and cups! They looks so lovely and rustic! The turmeric in this soup sounds like a nice touch.
Andrea said…
Bensbaby and Melissa, it's a great cold-weather soup, although I'm already tired of cold weather and it's only January!

Snooky Doodle, I'd love to see your recipe!

Kristy, Great minds think alike!

Stephanesia, I guess this soup gets around. We both know the reason why!

JD, thanks! You're too sweet.

Veggie Belly, I totally heart turmeric and after I found a great supply at an Indian grocery store (possibly my favorite grocery store ever) I'm in the gold!
Anonymous said…
HAPPY NEW YEAR! :)

Great soup. I'm vey very tempted!:)
Lisa Turner said…
Thanks for your submission! I do enjoy Molly's recipes and this one sounds like a winner.
I own couple of Mollie's Cookbooks. I love her. I'd love to meet her some day. I have to make this soup. Thanks for the review. My first time visiting your blog. I'll be following your updates.
Bennett said…
awesome pics!
i make this soup all the time and have experimented with different ways of bringing the heat level up. one successful adaptation i made was to add a habanero pepper at around the same time as the spices, and then add some cream at the end to balance out the heat a little bit. it turned out like more of curry, but was great with some hearty bread and a nice beer.
bri said…
omg love love love your blog

I used to make this soup in college and happened upon your blog when I googled for a recipe. Made it last night along with the Whole Wheat Molasses Bread...the soup was just as good as I remember and the bread goes great with.
Big glass of red wine rounded out the meal.
Happy New Year!
Unknown said…
Thank you my dear, keep an eye out for the rest of it :)


Commercial Soup Kettle Melbourne
Anonymous said…
This is a truly wonderful soup!
I like to throw in a handful of raisins and a dash of red wine vinegar or lime/lemon juice. It smells fabulous while bubbling away!
When I bring it to work for lunch everyone always ooohs and ahhs over it.
;)
Jamal Mohamed said…
Great post on "Gypsy Soup". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- patisserie institute dubai | patisserie institutes dubai
Gane said…
Wow this recipie is amazing and no one would never miss to add pepper masala to the preparation


Raw Honey Online, Black Pepper Online, Buy cardamom online
HH said…
Ignoring Red Flags Because You Want To see The Good In People Will Cost You Later Judi Slot Online

Popular Posts