Peperonata with Potatoes

peperonata in purple bowl

You know, I really only put things I like on this blog. If I make it and it's kind of lackluster, it doesn't make the cut. But I made this recipe a couple of days ago, polished off 8 (!!) servings almost by myself over the course of two days, and then wanted to make it again tonight for company. That, I think, says something.

peperonata in blue bowl

This is based on the Frog Commissary's riff on the classic Italian dish of peppers stewed with tomatoes, onions and garlic, although I've adjusted some of the proportions. They've added those little new potatoes, which you only have to slice in half, and saute in a little olive oil and butter until browned and crispy. Tossed with the vegetable mixture and then left to develop for a few hours, and you have a side dish (or, if you're like me, a main dish for several meals in a row) that only improves with a little age. Seriously, you guys, I highly recommend this recipe. It would be perfect for bringing to summer picnics since it's meant to be served at room temperature several hours after making. And it kicks the mayo-based potato salad's butt.

Peperonata with Potatoes
Adopted from The Frog Commissary Cookbook

A nub of butter and a splash of olive oil x 2
2 lbs small new potatoes, cut in half and boiled until just tender
1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, passed through a press
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup sliced Greek black olives
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 scallions, finely sliced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Preheat a large sauté pan over medium heat, then add the first knob of butter and a splash of olive oil to coat the bottom. Add the potatoes, cut side down and sauté until browned and crisp. Stir occasionally, and toss them around, so they don't stick. Transfer to a large serving bowl, then add the second knob of butter and splash of olive oil to the pan.

Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook until softened and translucent. Add the peppers and tomatoes, cooking until they're just tender. Add this mixture to the potatoes in the serving bowl, and toss with the parsley, salt, pepper, olives and vinegar. Let sit for several hours before serving to develop flavor. Check for seasoning and add more salt and/or pepper if needed.

Just before serving, garnish with the scallions and basil. Serve at room temperature.

Comments

Eliana said…
I'd polish 8 servings of this if I had it in front of me right now. Looks wonderful.
Micaela said…
I absolutely love the bowls you used for this. Is it too much to ask you tell me where you got them? :)
Andrea said…
Mica, I know, I love those bowls too. Actually, one of my good friends brought them back for me from Turkey. Wish they were more accessible, but that gives you a good reason to plan a trip sometime!
Dana said…
Well, I certainly trust you when you give something this high praise. I love all the flavors and all the ingredients, so I'm sure it's delish!
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts