Grilled Tomato Crostini

bruschetta_

Forgive me. I'm going to bombard you with tomato recipes. Mostly because I love them, and because we have to take advantage while we can. This is actually a recipe I meant to share last month, after I returned from a visit with my sister in Chicago. She's the one with access to a grill. Oh, and a willing boyfriend who will pretty much throw anything on there that we ask him to. He's very amenable like that.

So this is a crostini, but it's grilled. The bread is grilled, the tomatoes are grilled. Grilled tomato crostini. I don't know, dudes, there's not much more to say about it right now. It's really, really good in that very simple way. Because how can grilled tomatoes be anything but delicious really. That's not even a question, you see. So have at it.

Grilled Tomato Crostini
Adopted from Food and Wine

3/4 inch-thick slices of good ciabatta bread or the like
1 clove garlic, cut in half
Olive Oil for drizzling
Salt and Pepper to taste
Handful of small basil leaves
1 pound, about 4 medium, tomatoes, quartered
1/2 pint grape of cherry tomatoes
1/2 pint small mixed heirloom tomatoes, can be halved (or you can just use 1 pint of one type)

Preheat your grill for the tomatoes. Cut out four sheets of foil large enough to accommodate 1/4 of the tomatoes each. Spread them out on a work surface and mound the tomatoes in the center of each. Drizzle them with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Fold the foil over to form tight packets.

Set the packets on the grill and cover it. They should grill over moderately high heat for about 18 minutes, or until they have softened and some of them begin to burst. Remove from the grill and, using scissors, cup open the packets and set aside.

Grill the bread until a bit charred, about 1 minute on each side. Transfer the bread to plates and rub each one with the garlic halves. Mound the tomatoes and their juices over the bread and drizzle with a bit more olive oil. Season with salt, and garnish with basil. Serve.

Comments

Eliana said…
I love crostini! I can only imagine how great this one tasted with all the layers of grilling. YUM!!!
luisa said…
Hola , he descubierto hoy tu blog y desde ahora me quedo por aqui. Un saludito.
Unknown said…
Mmmm, delicious. I'd have to spread a bit of soft goat cheese on the grilled bread, under the tomatoes!
Larissa said…
Looks lovely! I agree -- we need to take advantage of tomatoes while we can!
Soma said…
There are symbols of summer! which would be soon gone. Beautiful.
healy said…
This sounds wonderful! I just did a big batch of tomato soup last week which we've been eating since all I have time to cook right now is grilled cheese sandwiches! Thanks for sharing your version of it at
I look forward to catching up with you.
Sam said…
crostini the best!this looks very delicious!

Popular Posts