Jill Dupleix's Crash-Hot Potatoes

crash hot potatoes 2 (1 of 1)

So here's the thing about being married to a Norwegian. He flippin' loves potatoes. No seriously, I have never seen anyone love potatoes that much. For him, it's not a real meal without them, so I guess we eat a lot of non-meals around here. I, on the other hand, tend to kind of forget about the potato unless I find those amazing little purple ones at the store, and then I think to myself, why in the world are those potatoes purple? And keep moving. The potato, in other words, is not my go-to food.

But I've had this recipe in the back of my mind for a while. After I first saw it on the Pioneer Woman who has kind of commandeered them. But they're Jill Dupleix's idea, and her recipe. If you're in the US, you might not be all that familiar with Dupleix. She's an Australian food writer, with a monthly column in the food magazine Americans only wish we could get, called Delicious. In fact, whenever I travel internationally, or go to a book store with a large magazine selection, I always look for Delicious as a special treat. Love that magazine. And Dupleix writes a monthly column for them.

crash hot potatoes 1 (1 of 1)

So Dupleix has written her fair share of cookbooks, but this recipe can be found easily on her website. They are amazing little potatoes. A cross between the tenderness of a baked potato and the crispiness of a french fry, but with very little fat. Actually, it's quite genius. Genius enough to even impress a Norwegian.

Adapted from Jill Dupleix's Crash Hot Potatoes

16 small, round potatoes
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper
A sprinkle of caraway seeds if you'd like (I did)
A few rosemary sprigs, broken into pieces

Preheat the oven to 450F (yea, screaming hot). Put the unpeeled potatoes into a pot of salted, boiling water and simmer them for about 15 minutes. They should be tender enough to take a fork, but not falling apart. Make sure they're not overly soft.

Drain the potatoes and spread them out on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Use a potato masher, and press down on each potato until it's flat. It should be about twice its original size.

Brush the potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and the caraway seeds, then lay the rosemary over the tops. Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until they're very crisp and golden brown. Serve right away.

Comments

ruairi said…
Bet he doesn't love potatoes ( or spuds as I call them ) as much as me, im Irish :-D

These look lovely, fantastic color :o)
Anonymous said…
My jaw dropped - these look fab!

Becca
My German-American boyfriend also adores potatoes. Hopefully we'll get a few more from the CSA before the season ends so we can try out this recipe!
Anonymous said…
Awesome! Nothing wrong with a new twist on potatoes.
Anonymous said…
Haha, so true. Conceptualizing a real meal without potatoes is not a cognitive possibility for Norwegians - though I recently had the realization that since potatoes are from the new world, they couldn't have arrived in Norway until at least the 1500s. It must have been all rutabagas up until then! Anyway, can't wait to give this a try!
I served risotto for dinner recently ... my husband asked for the potatoes!!!!!

(what's worse I had cooked some for him!)

Your potatoes look fantastic.
Alex said…
This looks really darn good and seems to be quite a cheap meal, too. I'll try it in the next few days. ;) At least spuds are cheap here in Norway. ^^

That recipe reminds me a bit of swiss Rösti, by the way.
I think I would add cumin seeds to this. Oohh. Nice idea, me. I like this idea and I also really like that you introduced me to the person responsible for these and not, for once, Pioneer Woman (although I do read her blog voraciously; she makes me laugh and I need laughter). I'm also... bookmarking this. And I'm obviously going to go through your blog right now. Stalker alert. Lol.
Todd M Thomas said…
fantastic purple potato joke.

Popular Posts