My Sister's Favorite Cornmeal Blueberry Muffins

Blueberry cornmeal muffins  (1 of 1)

These muffins are my sister's favorite. My mom made them for us when we were kids, and Lil' C would Freak Out. I wish I could say I made them for her while she was here visiting, but I actually made them for R's friends from Norway. But if my sister had been here, she would have Freaked Out when she saw them in that uniquely little sister way of hers.

Blueberry cornmeal muffins in tin 2 (1 of 1)

These are delicious, easy little muffins. Little in that I make them in the standard muffin pan, which in the days of huge over-sized bakery muffins, means you can eat at least two before you feel like you're being indulgent. Delicious in that the cornmeal gives them a wonderful texture and flavor normally missing from cakier versions. And easy.

Blueberry cornmeal muffins in tin 1 (1 of 1)

Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
Recipes comes straight from my mother

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk, or buttermilk if you have that on-hand
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2.5 cups blueberries
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar (you can use light or dark depending on what's around), for sprinkling on top, so measuring isn't that important.

Preheat oven to 375 and grease two muffin-tins. You'll use about 1.5 tins, so fill the cups you don't use with water when you bake them so they don't warp. You can also use muffin papers in the cups.

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the butter until it's light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat until light, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, baking powder and salt.

Using a rubbers spatula, fold in half of the flour, then half of the milk. Repeat with the remaining flour, all of the cornmeal and the remaining milk. Then fold in the blueberries.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3rds full. Try to evening distribute the blueberries as you portion out the batter. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the tops of the muffins.

Bake until the muffins are golden and pass the toothpick test, about 35-40 minutes. Transfer the pans to a rack and let cool for 15 minutes before turning the muffins out on a rack. Eat.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have one word: Yum.
Unknown said…
Cornmeal livens things up, they look scrumptious
Medifast Coupon said…
Love the muffin recipe, and I have all the ingredients to try these pretty little babies out today, will let you know what the kidlets think.
Elizabeth said…
Hi there! these look SO good! I love the texture cornmeal gives. I am your newest follower, your recipe's look delish and I LOVE your photos! Have a great day!
Elpi said…
Blueberry muffins! Who doesn't love 'em? :D I remember when I could finish at least 5 blueberry muffins coz they just taste so good!
Lil' C said…
I think its the bown sugar topping I love so much. Can you say YUM!
Anonymous said…
I baked these for my family, and they LOVED them! So delicious
Anonymous said…
I baked these last night....SUPER yummy! Thanks for the recipe!
Jamila said…
Oh my isnt that heaven on earth.
Oh my, we just made these after school tonight and we have troughed them like piggies. Very nice work !

Popular Posts