Chicken Baked with Quinces


After the Wine Poached Quinces from a few days ago, I thought I'd give a savory preparation a try.  If you'd like some basic information on these unique fruits, I'll direct you to that post.  Although I tend not to cook meat very often, sometimes the grumbling of R becomes a bit louder and I acquiesce.  Lately I've been thinking of meat as more of an occasional indulgence than the staple of my diet, and when I prepare it, it tends not to be the star of the show.  The star of this dish, however, is debatable.  Although chicken does figure prominently, those quinces definitely hold their own.  And if you haven't had enough of the quince and white wine paring, you're sure to enjoy it!

The recipe comes from the encyclopedic Uncommon Fruits & Vegetables: A Commonsense Guide by Elizabeth Schneider.  Although Schneider calls for a 3 - 31/2 lb chicken cut into serving pieces, I just went with three good-sized chicken breasts.  I also have to say, this massive book is the perfect kind of reference-cum-cookbook for a girl like me, never able to resist the temptation of an unknown fruit or vegetable.  Where else will you find almost 10 pages dedicated to the quince?  Love it.


Chicken Baked with Quinces

4 medium quinces, peeled and cored
1 cup apple juice
1 cup fruity white wine
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons ground coriander
White pepper

Oven preheated to 375

In a pan, combine the quinces, apple juice and wine.  Simmer the mixture uncovered until the fruit is tender.  This took less than 20 minutes for me, but be sure to check so that your quinces don't get mushy.  Add the sugar, and continue simmering until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup, about 5-10 minutes more.

Mix the flour and salt and dredge the chicken.  Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet, and brown the chicken. Season the chicken with the coriander on each side, then transfer the chicken to a baking dish and season it with the pepper.  Add the quinces to the dish.  Pour the fat out of the pan.

Degalze the pan in which the chicken was browned by pouring the reduced liquid into it and bringing to a boil while stirring.  Pour the pan-sauce over the chicken in the baking dish and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, basting at intervals.  The chicken should come out of the oven glazed and golden.  Serve with quince slices, topped with a few spoonfuls of the sauce.

We thought this was really very good.  The quinces were such a wonderful sweet-tart and the sauce is extremely tasty.  This is definitely something I'd make again!

Comments

Sam said…
I wish I could get hold of some quinces but I've never seen them for sale. :(
Anonymous said…
I'm really starting to enjoy fruits used in savory dishes, and this looks fantastic!
Unknown said…
This dish was a great idea... I want more dishes like this!!!
Andrea said…
Hi Sam, I don't know where in England you'd go. I found mine at the farmers market!

Lisa, I'd never really used fruits in savor dishes, but I quite like it as well!

Ragnar, just keep asking!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for posting this recipe. I happen to have a quince tree in my yard and I am tired of making jelly :).

Popular Posts