Maple Quinoa Pudding with Ricotta

quinoa pudding one cup

I really am a pretty big fan of quinoa. I love its texture, those little grain bubbles, and how they become translucent when cooked with that little thread running through the center. I've told you already about how I sometimes eat it in the morning, prepared pretty much like oatmeal and with many of the same fixings. And I still like that way. But I like this way even better.

quinoa pudding two cups

If I had to say, I'd choose this as the best way to eat quinoa for breakfast. Or dessert. Or throughout the day, with spoonfuls taken furtively from the bowl in the fridge. However, it does require a few notes on ingredients. The original recipe calls for fat free ricotta, which you can use. But imagine how much better it would be with at least part-skim. And if you don't like tofu, you can always skip it and just double the ricotta (or replace it with vanilla yogurt, like Megan did!). I personally love silken tofu in things like fruit shakes, so it was perfectly at home for me here.

quinoa pudding one cup 2

Also, the recipe is kind of specific about what kinds of dried fruit to use, which is just silly since you can do anything you want. And next time I make it, I might even consider going a little retro and adding in drained canned pineapple chunks or, maybe even better, chopped drained mandarin oranges. Dated? Probably. But I love those little mandarin oranges. I also happened to have a dwindling bag of red quinoa, so that's what I used because it's pretty and it was on-hand. But you can just as easily use the normal kind with no difference in flavor.

Maple Quinoa Pudding
Adapted from Vegetarian Times

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup ricotta (the recipe says fat free, which you can get away with, but wouldn't even part-skim be better?)
1 cup silken tofu (if you can't get behind tofu, leave it out and double the ricotta or replace it with vanilla yogurt)
3-4 tablespoons pure, Real, maple syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 handfuls of dried fruit, according to what you like. Some suggestions: current, raisins, dried pineapple, dried apricots, dried papaya. I used pineapple and currents. (Another idea would be to use drained canned pineapple chunks or chopped mandarin oranges.)

In a large pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil over medium heat. Be ready with the lid, then add the quinoa, reduce the heat to low and cover. Allow the quinoa to cook for about 20 minutes.

In the meantime, whisk together the ricotta and the tofu until smooth. Add the maple syrup, start with 3 tablespoons and add the forth only if you want it. Add the vanilla, then stir in the cooked quinoa (you don't really need to wait for it to cook). Fold in the dried fruit. You can either refrigerate it before serving so that it's a uniform coolness, or just dig in. I did both.

By The Way:

Do you like those gray napkins? I know, they're lovely, aren't they (that's not really a question). Well, I got them on Etsy from my new favorite seller. I am majorly coveting those beautiful colander napkins. Anyone want to send them to me?

Comments

JuLo said…
Wow. This sounds so interesting! I've heard of making quinoa like a porridge for breakfast, but not like that. It looks so creamy and delicious! I will definitely have to keep an eye out for some ricotta and silken tofu at the store so I can try this. :) Thanks!
That looks delicious and I love that cup!
Eléonora said…
Your blog is super. So are your photographies. They make me hungry. I have spent a nice moment when seeing them. Thanks a lot.
Snooky doodle said…
healthy and nutritious :) delicious too
Beautiful blog and I am somewhat excited about this recipe.. so many wonderful ingredients in one super healthy bowl YUM!
Aśka said…
it look amazing but more important question is : where you get those mugs - i am official in love with them ! :)
Gala said…
I'm totally into oatmeal and eat quinoa only in my salads but I must say you sparked an interest!
Fabulous blog and delicious recipes!

Have a wonderful day!
Sarah said…
This looks both delicious and beautiful--thanks to your new napkins and great photography. :) I am so keen on quinoa. I even make a cookie with them (and it also contains a vegetable!). Quinoa and maple cookies--a great combination.
Laura said…
I've never thought of having sweet quinoa. I always have it with veggies so this is an enlightening moment!
Nicki Thornton said…
I was so hungry when I saw this that I immediately started collecting things to make this pudding and needless to say - it was yummy!
Thank you for posting it.

Nicki Thornton
saveur said…
I love the grains for breakfast trend. I recently made israeli couscous with coconut, almonds and honey for breakfast as well.

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/morning-couscous-almond-coconut-honey/
test it comm said…
A quinoa pudding sounds so good!
Anonymous said…
how about substituting cottage cheese (blended in the blender) for ricotta? i don't have ricotta handy but i do have cottage cheese and this looks really good. how long could this stay well in the fridge?
Andrea said…
Anonymous, I definitely think you could get away with cottage cheese. I mean, it won't taste exactly the same, but I think it would still be good. Just adjust the sweetness up or down depending on your taste. As far as how long it will last, I'd say you could get breakfast out of it for the week if it takes you that long to finish it. Seems like the limiter would be the freshness of your cottage cheese and tofu (if you're using tofu).
imsocrmom said…
This sounds so tasty!! I'm a little confused though...(if you knew me you wouldn't be surprised). It says "you don't really need to wait for the Quinoa to cook" Does that mean it might not take 20 minutes?
Lucie said…
Can I ask where you got these cups from? I have been searching everywhere for some like this for a christmas gift and have yet to find some exactly like these beauties! Thankyou! x
Andrea said…
Hi Lucie,

I love those cups too. I got them at the gift shop at the Art Institute of Chicago, I believe, but I've also seen them in several shops in China Town here in NYC. I wish I could give you a web address for ordering, but those are the two places I've seen them. Good luck!
Lucie said…
Id absolutely love a website so I can order them - thankyou so much!

Popular Posts