Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Soup


Hey there! Have you missed me? Have you even noticed I've been gone? I have two and a half weeks left until my oral exam, and am in full freak-out mode. It's not a pretty sight. I don't think you need the details.

So if you think you haven't heard from me lately, you might be hearing from me even less from now until December 10th. But, you know, there are always the archives. Oh, and I have this super easy Pumpkin Soup to help tide you over. Want some?


Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Soup
From The Vegan Table

3 tablespoons water, or more as needed
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 cups vegetable stock
1, 15 oz. can pumpkin purée
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 cups milk (non-dairy if you want to keep it Vegan)
Salt, to taste
Parsley, for garnish if you want

Preheat the water in a soup pot and add the onion and garlic. Cook over medium for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add more water if the pot gets dry.

Add the turmeric, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, and cayenne. Stir to coat the onions and garlic, then add the stock, the pumpkin, the maple syrup and the lemon juice. Simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.

Stir in the milk, remove from the heat and purée according to your preferred method (mine is with an immersion blender, but you can also purée with a normal blender in batches). Return the soup to the heat, and heat over medium until hot, but don't boil (milk doesn't like boiling). You only need about 5 minutes. Taste, add salt, garnish with parsley and serve.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh does this sound good! I think we'll add it to this year's Thanksgiving menu.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bordeaux said…
Beautiful. Unfortunately our soup season is over. The warm soups anyways. Good luck with the exams!
Angela said…
The soup looks terrific. Good luck with your oral exam!
Andrea said…
I'm afraid I am going to have to add you to my blogroll, as I have been drooling over your site for quite a while now. And not just because we are both named Andrea, either! :)
Anonymous said…
There's not much I love more than pumpkin! Well, maybe pumpkin soup. :)
Moon to Moon said…
Just found your blog looking for a different version of breakfast quinoa (loved it by the way). Loving your blog, so pleased I stumbled across you.

Popular Posts