Honey Caramelized Onions and Apples

Caramelized onions and apples with honey 2 (1 of 1)

My favorite French Bistro, just down the street, does something amazing with onions. The chef caramelizes them in honey and then adds them to things like crepes along with ham and gruyere cheese. When I do caramelized onions I tend to use balsamic vinegar, but just that tablespoon or so of honey achieves something amazing. So when my sister was visiting recently, I knew, with her insatiable sweet tooth (she actually suggested once that we get something sweet to go along with our Cadbury Creme Eggs), that she would prefer honey to vinegar. Not a bad philosophy in general, actually.

Caramelized onions and apples with honey (1 of 1)

The apples came into play because I had extra chopped apples begging to be thrown in. So I complied. These would be great with any kind of winter-roast meat, or on a sandwich, or, yes, in a crepe along with ham and gruyere. This doesn't make an excessive amount, maybe 2 cups. If you want more to keep around, you can easily double the recipe. They instantly gormet-ify whatever you're making, yet their easy and inexpensive. Truth be told, I ate them straight from the bowl with only a fork while my sister wasn't looking.

Onions and Apples Caramelized in Honey
Original Recipe

2 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
1-2 tablespoons of honey. I used two, but that may have been a bit much, so I'd start with one next time.
1 large apple, diced (I didn't bother peeling. I rarely do.)
Oil for the pan
Pinch of salt and sugar

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, then coat with oil. Add the onions along with a pinch of both salt and sugar. Cook until the onions are soft but not yet browned. Add the chopped apples and the honey and continue to cook until well-caramelized. About 20-30 minutes total, the longer the better usually.

Comments

bloggerprofie said…
Looks and sounds delicious!
Joanne said…
My mother has always told me that you can catch more bees with honey than you can with vinegar. Now I understand what she meant. This looks wonderful!
Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul said…
Hey Andrea! I love love love your photos! The color is so lovely, and inspiring. I've got a folder on my computer when I collect photographic inspiration; and photo #1 is going in there.
All the best!
Sarah said…
I'm glad the apples called to you--that is an inspired pairing. Thanks for sharing. You are right that caramelised onions add the sparkle to so many dishes (amazing, since they are so ugly!).
Lexi said…
This sweets looks incredible and healthy too!

Popular Posts