Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke Soup


This soup is how I decided to use up the second half of my Jerusalem artichoke haul from the farmers market.   If you'd like some information on this fun, obscure ingredient, and an idea of how to eat them raw, I'll refer you to this previous post.  When cooked, the jerusalem artichoke takes on a beautiful earthy flavor (so those of you who love earthy flavors should consider it, QiuQiu's Parents!).  This soup was nice, subtle and easily slurpable.  The wine added a lovely depth of flavor and the sweet potato was a brilliant addition.  That Elizabeth Schneider sure knows her fun, obscure ingredients!  I didn't follow her recipe exactly, but it's a soup, so recipes are just guidelines anyway.  Below you'll find my modified version.


Creamy Jerusalem Artichoke Soup

2 tablespoons butter
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
4 - 5 shallots, minced
1 pound Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
4 cups vegetable broth
Salt and white pepper to taste
1/4 cup marsala wine
2 tablespoons flour
Whole milk to taste


Melt the butter in a heavy pot and cook the celery and shallots over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring.  Add the artichokes and potatoes along with the coriander and broth.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer partly covered for 25 minutes.  The vegetables should be tender.  Purée using your preferred method (mine is with the immersion blender!).

Season with salt and pepper.  Stir the wine into the flour, making sure the flour dissolves.  Add the wine mixture to the soup and bring to a boil.  Add the milk to taste.  Serve.



Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks lovely! I never know what to do with artichokes, so this is a great idea!
Dana Treat said…
You know how I feel about Jerusalem artichokes - don't you love them in soup??
veggie belly said…
Wine in soup is so great! This looks lovely. I like your cups!
Anonymous said…
Couldn't agree more with the wine in soup thing.

How cool are those bowls, as well?!
Anonymous said…
I like the sound of this soup and your photos of it are beautiful.
Sam said…
You can't beat good soup when it's cold, it looks great in those bowls too!
Maris said…
I love soup - this sounds great! I had Jerusalem artichokes for the first time this summer and they were so good..
Annie said…
Lovely! I'll have to remember this for when Summer is over!
Andrea said…
Farida, be careful because Jerusalem artichokes aren't the same as the "normal" kind!

Dana, I loved this soup! Thanks for the inspiration!

Veggie Belly and gkbloodsugar, wine is good. Yes. Thanks! I got those cups at the National Gallery in D.C. Love museum gift shops!

Julie, thank you! Soup can be hard to make look good, but I've seen you do it to wonderful effect!

Sam, that's for sure! I'm not ready for winter!

Maris, I just recently discovered them as well, but I'm glad I did!

Annie, stop bragging about your summer ;-) Just kidding. Wish we could trade places!

Popular Posts